The 2015 summer TV lineup looks as exciting and interesting as any in recent memory with many quality summer TV shows to choose from. It appears that there will be something for everyone, from returning hit shows to new traditional shows to reality shows. The summer TV schedule in 2015 offers a wide variety of choices for the television viewer and it offers the networks a chance to air certain shows that they feel are too experimental for the more popular fall and spring seasons, are designed for a particular audience that tends to watch TV in the summer, or is somehow perfect summer faire. These summer TV shows give the networks a chance to promote their important fall TV lineup, often to the same group of viewers that might be interested. In many cases the networks are truly hoping that a new summer TV show will be a hit, but they get to try it out in the summer to see if they are right.
As you can see above, you can search by network or by category using the drop downs, and of course we will review specific summer TV shows on this page below this post.
Summer TV Shows Guide
What differences, perhaps besides the quality of the shows, do we find in summer TV shows? Often we find the following:
- Networks try to stay away from scheduling shows on the weekends where people tend to be particularly busy in the summer. While these are not the strongest spots in the fall and spring TV lineups either, they are often particularly avoided in the summer TV lineup.
- Networks might also focus a bit more on the later time slots, 10pm and 9pm, since with longer daylight people are often doing activities much longer in the summer months.
- The summer TV schedule often packs the more promising shows into one night, especially half-hour shows. There is just not enough good TV to fill out an entire week, so having a designated night where they hope people will tune in is often the answer.
- The summer TV lineup provides a little less depth and fewer shows than the fall season, but there are still many choices in a variety of genres. You may feel that it is important to choose carefully so you don’t miss out on what are usually a few hits during this season.
The summer TV schedule is tricky but that’s why we are here. We want to provide you with not only information about when each summer TV series will be on, but also whether it is worth watching and whether it will fit your tastes. You might use this page as a starting point and then use our previews and reviews on the other pages to do a little homework. You can also use other sites for information and guidance
We provide Reviews of summer TV shows on this page, as well as providing a Summer TV preview by Network:
ABC Summer TV Shows include the return of Battlebots after a long hiatus
The NBC Summer TV Lineup is once again headlined by America’s Got Talent
On Fox Summer TV, Wayward Pines may be a unique hit, a Summer TV thriller
Our CBS Summer TV Preview centers around the promising TV adaptation of James Patterson’s Zoo
The highlight on the Showtime Summer TV Schedule is the return of Ray Donovan
Summer TV on HBO may get significant buzz given the return of True Detective
Summer TV Series Types
As usual, the summer is the time that we see three types of TV show from the networks:
- Reality shows. Given that there is a lot of time to fill, networks need a cheap and easy way to produce interesting content. Reality shows fill time well, and can still potentially be ratings earners. In fact, some of today’s most popular reality shows in the fall and spring started out as summer TV or winter TV fillers. Battlebots is one such example!
- Summer Viewers. Sometimes a summer TV series is there because its audience actually watches more TV in the summer than other times of year. College students for example may be more likely to watch a show in the summer than the fall. In a related way, sometimes summer TV shows are designed to capture a summer theme, fitting in nicely with what its potential viewers are interested in during summertime. Wet Hot American Summer may attract this audience for example.
- Loyal Followings. One factor that is particularly true of the cable channels like HBO and Cinemax is that TV shows that have such loyal viewers that time of year is not important. Many viewers of these niche and often critically acclaimed cable shows look forward to focusing on them during the summer. True Detective is a good example in this summer’s TV lineup
The Summer TV lineup can be confusing to navigate – its hard to know what is a rerun and what is new, and what might be promising and what is just poor quality filler. That is why we are here. We will provide not only specific previews and reviews of the best summer TV shows, but also more information like this that might generally help you navigate the summer TV lineup.
Don’t get depressed each summer, waiting for your favorites to return in late September. Instead learn how to find the very best Summer TV shows!